Sunday, August 03, 2008

Church Attire These Days

As I was waiting for mass to start this morning I realized how lax we Catholics have become in dressing for mass. True we comply with the guidelines that the Church came out with, but still I can't help but feel that my husband and I can do better in dressing our kids for mass.

Our laxity became glaring to me when my family was attending a get together where a Bishop was to be present. As I was helping my kids dress up, I got so frustrated at the clothes my 11 year old was choosing to wear. I told her that it had to be special, and she said "But mom, you let me wear this at church!". This was a pair of jeans and a shirt with a collar....at least it had a collar. I guess I wasn't very consistent, I am making them wear something special for a human of a certain position while I allow them to wear mall outfits during mass, when our Lord and Savior is about to come and be with us.

My husband and I agreed then that we should help our kids always out their best feet forward for Sunday Mass. Which means no sandals, flip flops, T-shirts for the boys, shorts etc.

We also realized that the youth these days no longer know how to dress for occasions. As we attended a wake last week of a poor teenager who passed away, we couldn't help girls wearing short shorts, you know the kind that are almost as short as bloomers :) I'm showing my age...anyhoo, we were shocked that these kids think it's appropriate. Some kids were even wearing red. I think they should have dressed up appropriately out of respect for the parents of the deceased. Are parents too busy these days to teach kids simple social graces? I shudder to think of how kids would behave when my infant becomes a teenager......

No comments: